Magpet derived its name from the word “Linoppot” which means, “a place where people gather in fellowship to partake of their packed lunch wrapped in banana leaves”.
An anonymous lexicographer inadvertently shortened the word “Linoppot” to “Maupot”. Much later and further spelled into “MAGPET” by a certain forester in his survey report. Consequently, the word “Magpet” stuck to not only mean the place but also the stream of cool, fresh and clean water. By the present connotation, Magpet means “the verdant lands of many waters”.
The life of the early year’s settlers and inhabitants of Magpet was a tale of survival and fortitude. Their lives were always in danger. Bloodthirsty malarial mosquitoes attacked them. Grandparents often told their grandchildren the stories “about eating their meals inside the mosquito nets” because “mosquitoes were as big as bees”. Yet, all the hardships and suffering, and even death of the early settlers only served to strengthen their decision to stay and utilize the vast natural resources of Magpet.
The land was very fertile, varieties of fish were found in the rivers and streams, and on the woodlands, wild pigs, deer and birds are plentiful. Food was not a problem during that period, but rather, marketing of production surplus and purchase of basic commodities. They traveled for days and weeks in order to sell their crops to the nearest trading centers and they needed salt, sugar, matches and soap for daily needs.
The first school in Magpet was established sometime in 1940 with Mrs. Rachel Fortines as the lone and pioneer teacher.The first school in Magpet was established sometime in 1940 with Mrs. Rachel Fortines as the lone and pioneer teacher.
During the pre-world war period, “Datus” ruled Magpet just like most communities in Mindanao. Most notable among the “datus” were Datu Guba Latimbang of Magpet, Datu Embao Panunggo of Marbel, Datu Manumba Panga of Tagbac, Datu Obo of Pangao-an, and Datu Guabong of Tuael (Noa) and Kasag (Inac).